Monday, November 10, 2014


Cacaxtla.- This site was developed between 600 BC and 100 AD by the Olmeca-xicalancas groups that dominated much of the Puebla-Tlaxcala valley. Its decline happened around 1100 d.c. For probable defensive issues, the ceremonial center was located on a natural elevation overlooking valley. It highlights many buildings and structures of various construction overlapping times. They are surrounded by large moats and a sample of pre-Hispanic mural, the largest found to date. It measures approximately 200 square meters
and it plays a big battle and some human sacrifices. The overall style reminds traits of Maya art, although there are influences of other contemporary centers such as Teotihuacan and Monte Alban.

Archaeological Area and the Pyramid Cacaxtla Xochitécatl

Colonial Tlaxcala

The Conquest, to Tlaxcallan was torn off its prehispanic face and superimposed a new Spanish face. Spanish temples were erected on the temples of the ancient Indian deities. The palaces and public buildings collapsed and its stones were used to build the new face of Tlaxcala, which soon became the Noble and Loyal City of Tlaxcala Our Lady of the Assumption and later, in the province of the same name.

Square Constitución.- Known as the former Arms Square, now known as Constitution Square, in honor, first the Cadiz Constitution of 1812 and later, Mexican constitutions of 1857 and 1917.

Parish of St. José.- was built in the eighteenth century on the site of a former chapel of the sixteenth century. Its facade is Baroque Stipe brilliantly combines the use of mortar, brick and tile, chaired by the statue of St. Joseph. The interior contains interesting examples of baroque and neoclassical art altars and altarpieces of good quality. The paintings in the sacristy, eighteenth-century works, commissioned by Juan Faustino do Maxixcatzin. In 1640 he became Tlaxcala Cathedral.

St. Joseph Parish

Source of Holy Cruz.- Gift of Spanish King Philip IV in 1646, the capital city enriched by six cherubs and the cross carved in stone; here the population was supplied water from the river Zahuapan.

Source of the Holy Cross sixteenth century

Former Chief-Justice Palace Chapel Royal Indian, paid for by the four lords of Tlaxcala. This chapel was founded in the sixteenth century and remodeled in the late seventeenth to give it its current appearance. The facade is Baroque Stipe, framed by brick cubes the old towers, steeples ever endured. At its bottom, you can see two interesting posters with reliefs alluding to the shields of the Spanish Empire.


Old Royal Palace Inn Legislativo.-. This building also dates from the sixteenth century, but today only remains of that time part of the façade, the arches of the interior and some adobe walls and brick quarry. In 1982 he was rescued and restored by the government to house the offices of the Legislative Palace.

Legislative Palace

Government.- Palace Construction began in 1545 on a set that included the mayor, the Corn Exchange and the Royal House. The main facade is a composition that combines style plateresco door carved in stone with plants, and the balcony decorated in Baroque style mortar. Inside the building fresco murals painted by artist Desiderio Hernández Xochitiotzin Tlaxcala, where the history of the people of Tlaxcala plasma appreciated.

Government Palace

Portal and Portal Hidalgo Chico.- Former Real Portal and Portal del Parian, were built from 1550, now called Portal and Portal Hidalgo or Big Boy, described by Diego Muñoz Camargo as "portals beautifully carved stone running through two sidewalks of the square, from beginning to end, below which there are many shops. "These stores were Spaniards and restocked goods overseas.

Portales of the Plaza of the Constitution

House Ayuntamiento.- His long arches, housing the busiest portals and Hidalgo called Parian, in the middle part has access to the City, whose facade is neoclassical style with a popular air. Inside there is a courtyard with cantera fountain

Casa del Ayuntamiento

Former House Piedra.- relic of the sixteenth century, its former owner, a renowned lawyer, asked his poor clients as payment for building a stone house. Today, Hotel Posada San Francisco.

Old stone house Hotel San Francisco today.

Ex Convento Franciscano.- Founded in 1524, is one of the oldest in the country. Its facade is very simple, with an arch that serves as a target. Inside is a sobering center courtyard with fountain. Some of the old buildings are still visible remains of wall paintings. Vestige of an early American convents. Today enclosure Tlaxcala Regional Museum.

Ex-convent of San Francisco

Conventual Church of Our Lady of ASUNCION Converted into the Cathedral of Tlaxcala. Its main altar dedicated to the Virgin of the Assumption, dating from the seventeenth century, Solomonic Baroque carvings and 9 stewed nine oil paintings, among which reproduces the christening of the lords of Tlaxcala. Here is the first pulpit in America, which reads: "Here was the beginning of the Holy Gospel in this new world." This temple is considered the highest artistic value and the best preserved of Mexico.

Abierta.- Chapel Built in 1528 is one of the most beautiful country in their position and style, it has a hexagonal and three colonial arches in front of some Moorish influence. Its semicircular vault ribs is also very beautiful.

Basilica open the former convent of San Francisco.

Basilica and Shrine of Our Lady of Ocotlán.- Located one kilometer from the historic center; Main Gate of the court and fence Inverted Arches harmonize perfectly with the majestic sanctuary; appear in the same time, but no, the sanctuary dates from 1670; façade was built between 1760 and 1790, and the court was built until 1957, was design by artist Don Desiderio Hernández Xochitiotzin Tlaxcala.

Basilica of our private Lady of Ocotlan

Xicohténcatl.- Theatre This theater is known to work since 1873, although the facade was remodeled in different years of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, providing it with the current one that is made of dark quarry in neoclassic style. The interior is also decorated in the same style and stand on your ceiling figures of the nine muses, painted in the style of Art Nouveau.